custom.css not updated properly

custom.css not updated properly was created by DomJam

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10593
Hey Cedric,

So now I'm using the the 'custom.css' on an... hourly basis ;-)

And it does work well! Actually it does get its positive points (changes are 'immediate').
I still would like even more stuff in the graphical TC3 interface, but currently the combination between TC3 + its custom.css is really powerful, for what I can see.

But I think I found a little bug.
Or at lease something really not convenient at all.

I created my 'custom.css' in the 'Component' part, as indicated in your vidéo.
From there, I kept this file open in Dreamweaver to make my changes (saving each time I'm doing a change. The soft then upload the new file at the right place).

BUT, and here's the BUT: if I change the TC3 template and use the 'Copier' function to generate a new version of the template, then my custom.css seems to be erased, back to a blank page (or to the very first version of the custom.css).

What I have to do then is to go to Dreamveaver, press 'save again, then the custom.css is recreated, re-uploaded at the right place, and the website start to works normally again.

It is like if the 'Copier' function was reseting the 'custom.css'.

After some checks, it looks like the 'custom.css' in the 'Component part' only keeps the very first version of the 'custom.css' I created. So when I generate a new version of the template via TC3, then this file is used / brought back rather than the last version of my custom.css.

Saving again the custom.css file open on my local computer cure this. But that's not really handy.

I also saw a version of the 'custom.css' in the 'Template' directory of my template.
Is there some kind of interactions between those 2 'custom.css' (like for the other files of the template?).

Should I modify the 'custom.css' that is in the 'Template' part rather than the one in the 'Component' part?

If you do some check, you really have to make several change on the custom.css, and the generate new version of the template too to see it happen...

The risk at the moment is for me to loose my proper 'custom.css' if I close Dreamveaver at the wrong moment....

If you ave questions, let me know!

Thxs
D
by DomJam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic custom.css not updated properly

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10596
Hi

Should I modify the 'custom.css' that is in the 'Template' part rather than the one in the 'Component' part?

No

please just give the steps on how to reproduce the issue clearly:
1/ create a custom.css for a template "demo" and put it some code
2/ copy this template as "demo2" in the tck3 admin
3/ check the custom.css from "demo" has been cleared

is that correct ?
Ced

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Replied by DomJam on topic custom.css not updated properly

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10605
Well...

I tried several things to try to pin point it.

In the end, I think that the 'custom.css' that I was using was actually the one in the 'Template' part...
Reason why the one in the 'Component' part was never updated since the very first that I created last week.

BUT now that I'm doing it the 'right' way, I am loosing the only real nice thing about this 'custom.css': if you edit the one in the 'Component' part, you DON'T SEE THE CHANGES MADE till you generate a new version of the Template via 'copier' in TC3 !!! And to be honest, that really sucks!

Especially now that I am use to:
1- do my changes in the 'custom.css' in the 'Template' part
2- do a 'ctrl+s', then see that the file is updated automatically
3- press refresh on my internet borwser.

Bing! Result of the modif is live! on my screen!!!
Really cool and fast!!

If I do it the 'correct' way, after changes made in the custom.css file, I have to add 2 or 3 steps for the same results! The 'trial /error' process is much much longer like that!

Isn't there another way to do this?

If not, I'm probably gonna stick to my initial process: modify the 'custom.css' in the 'Template' part, keep the file opened in Dreamweaver, and save it again as soon as a new template version as been created via TC3 to update it again.

This means in a nutshell that I'm not using the custom.css in the 'Component' part. Risky business in a way, but so much more efficient at the end of the day...

What do you think?

Any other way / process that you could set up for that file? Why does it need to be processed by TC3 in the end?

Thxs!!!

D
Last Edit:10 years 11 months ago by DomJam
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by DomJam. Reason: typo

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10609

Template via 'copier' in TC3 !!! And to be honest, that really sucks!

please keep cool...
I do my best but reading this makes me not happy. We already had a lot of message together and I think that you could be a bit more cool with this as you always write a lot of things and I always take the time to read you entirely even if I really don't have the time to.

Now the way to do is :
Especially now that I am use to:
1- do my changes in the 'custom.css' in the 'Template' part
2- do a 'ctrl+s', then see that the file is updated automatically
3- press refresh on my internet borwser.
4- copy paste your changes into the custom.css of the component to integrate it into your template with template creator

I know that this way is not the BEST, but it allows you do to do what you want.

Isn't there another way to do this?

may be but for now I don't have found the correct way to avoid issues. I 'm always hearing and taking care about correct and clear solutions, so you can propose your own if you think that your method is the best.

by ced1870
The following user(s) said Thank You: DomJam

Replied by DomJam on topic custom.css not updated properly

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10612
sorry !!!

Here that expression was just meaning 'ça craint', and I really meant it in a funny way...
I actually tried to use some kind of friendly tone, but that was not appropriate.

I really didn't want you to think I was upset or angry or something: I'm REALLY HAPPY with the quality of your product (and of your support) and with the way you are coding your things. MUCH better than many others I'm using.

Sorry again for having not being understandable
I will post even more good comments (that I meant) on your products in the JOD ;-)

And I'm gonna buy several those coming days 2 (the mobile plugin notably).

--> for the 'custom.css' thing: understood.
I'll do the copy / paste. If I have some idea around that, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your answer.
Apologize again.

D
by DomJam

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #10613
tu sais que tu peux parler français aussi sur mon forum :)

I actually tried to use some kind of friendly tone, but that was not appropriate.

the problem is that I have a lot of work these days and a lot of questions so I 'm not really on a friendly tone, but it's ok. I understand, no problem.

I already have thought about using the custom.css file directly in the template, but I m' not sure if this will not cause some problems.

by ced1870

Time to create page: 0.711 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 864 guests and no members online