Will Pro version fix trimmed URL issue?

Will Pro version fix trimmed URL issue? was created by aa111

Posted 7 months 5 days ago #69501
Hi, I have an issue with Google Search Console where it lists a lot of pages under "Duplicate without user-selected canonical" category. Those pages contain working but trimmed URLs. I.e. actual article URL is: www.mysite.com/category/549-this-is-article-name . But Google from somewhere (no idea where) finds:  www.mysite.com/category/549-this-is
Both links work as Joomla seems to ignore everything after article ID, but I'm concerned that all these duplicates may affect Google ranking.

I just want to make sure the pro version will fix the issue. Specifically, if I (or the Google bot) visit  www.mysite.com/category/549-this-is will the canonical ref point to " www.mysite.com/category/549-this-is-article-name "? I tried a couple of free plugins, but all they did was add a canonical ref pointing to the same page URL regardless of whether it was a full or trimmed URL...
by aa111

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic Will Pro version fix trimmed URL issue?

Posted 7 months 5 days ago #69503
Hi

I tried a couple of free plugins, but all they did was add a canonical ref pointing to the same page URL

the main problem is the understanding of what the canonical tag is supposed to do. Linking to the same url is useless
the canonical tag shall link to the relevant page that you want to index in the search engine and avoid duplicate content

In my plugin, for example this page :
Code:
/blog/6-your-mod
the canonical tag automatically added is
Code:
/blog/6-your-modules
because this is the relevant page. Same if you use a non routed url to access your page, the canonical tag refer to the routed page

CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Replied by aa111 on topic Will Pro version fix trimmed URL issue?

Posted 7 months 5 days ago #69508
Thanks. Just purchased and installed the pro version. Seems to work as expected. I guess now just a question of waiting for Google to re-index and see if warnings go away.
by aa111

Replied by ced1870 on topic Will Pro version fix trimmed URL issue?

Posted 7 months 5 days ago #69514
great !
thank you for your purchase

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Time to create page: 0.677 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 646 guests and one member online