Keyboard accessible slideshow controls

Keyboard accessible slideshow controls was created by adamgatt

Posted 6 years 3 months ago #46376
Hi Cedric.

Firstly, many thanks for your efforts in making this slideshow module free. It is brilliant, definitely the best slider module I've ever used with Joomla.

Can I make some suggestions above improving the module to make it more accessible to meet the WCAG 2.0 AA level guidelines? Meeting these guidelines is a requirement for certain organisations in Australia. As such, I have been making small changes to some javascript files on multiple websites every time there is an update for the module.

I would like to share the changes I make hoping that it will help others. The changes allow the user to keyboard focus and tab/enter the next, previous, play, pause and slide index buttons. This allows vision impaired screen reader users to understand that there is a slideshow, and be able to control it with their keyboard.

The changes I have made are:

/assets/camera.js
Line 242 - Added tabindex and aria-label parameters to the divs as below:

Changed:
Code:
fakeHover.append( '<div class="camera_prev"><span></span></div>' ).append( '<div class="camera_next"><span></span></div>' );

to:
Code:
fakeHover.append( '<div class="camera_prev" tabindex="0" aria-label="Show the previous slide"><span></span></div>' ).append( '<div class="camera_next" tabindex="0" aria-label="Show the next slide"><span></span></div>' );

Line 1198 - Added tabindex and aira-label parameters to the list item as below:

Changed:
Code:
$('.camera_pag_ul',wrap).append('<li class="pag_nav_'+li+'" style="position:relative; z-index:1002"><span><span>'+li+'</span></span></li>');

to:
Code:
$('.camera_pag_ul',wrap).append('<li class="pag_nav_'+li+'" style="position:relative; z-index:1002" tabindex="0" aria-label="Show slide '+(li+1)+'"><span><span>'+li+'</span></span></li>');

Line 1331 - Added tabindex and aria-label parameters to the divs

Changed:
Code:
$(commands).append('<div class="camera_play"></div>').append('<div class="camera_stop"></div>');

To:
Code:
$(commands).append('<div class="camera_play" tabindex="0" aria-label="Start the slideshow"></div>').append('<div class="camera_stop" tabindex="0" aria-label="Pause the slideshow"></div>');

Line 1022 - Added the keypress listener to camera_stop
Code:
camera_thumbs_wrap.on('keypress','.camera_stop',function(e){ if(e.which == 13){//Enter key pressed autoAdv = false; elem.addClass('paused'); if($('.camera_stop',camera_thumbs_wrap).length){ $('.camera_stop',camera_thumbs_wrap).hide() $('.camera_play',camera_thumbs_wrap).show(); if(loader!='none'){ $('#'+pieID).hide(); } } else { if(loader!='none'){ $('#'+pieID).hide(); } } } });

Line 1058 - Added the keypress listener to camera_play
Code:
camera_thumbs_wrap.on('keypress','.camera_play',function(e){ if(e.which == 13){//Enter key pressed autoAdv = true; elem.removeClass('paused'); if($('.camera_play',camera_thumbs_wrap).length){ $('.camera_play',camera_thumbs_wrap).hide(); $('.camera_stop',camera_thumbs_wrap).show(); if(loader!='none'){ $('#'+pieID).show(); } } else { if(loader!='none'){ $('#'+pieID).show(); } } } });

Line 2500 - Added the keypress listener to camera_prev
Code:
$('div.camera_prev').on('keypress', prevNav, function(e){ if(e.which == 13){//Enter key pressed //$(prevNav).click(function(){ if(!elem.hasClass('camerasliding')){ var idNum = parseFloat($('.cameraSlide.cameracurrent',target).index()); clearInterval(u); imgFake(); $('#'+pieID+', .camera_canvas_wrap',wrap).animate({opacity:0},0); canvasLoader(); if(idNum!=0){ nextSlide(idNum); } else { nextSlide(amountSlide); } opts.onStartLoading.call(this); } } });

Line 2538 - Added the keypress listener to camera_next
Code:
$('div.camera_next').on('keypress', nextNav, function(e){ if(e.which == 13){//Enter key pressed //$(nextNav).click(function(){ if(!elem.hasClass('camerasliding')){ var idNum = parseFloat($('.cameraSlide.cameracurrent',target).index()); clearInterval(u); imgFake(); $('#'+pieID+', .camera_canvas_wrap',camera_thumbs_wrap).animate({opacity:0},0); canvasLoader(); if(idNum==amountSlide-1){ nextSlide(1); } else { nextSlide(idNum+2); } opts.onStartLoading.call(this); } } });

Line 2738 - Added keypress listener to camera_pag_ul
Code:
$('ul.camera_pag_ul').on('keypress', 'li', function(e){ if(e.which == 13){//Enter key pressed //$('.camera_pag li',wrap).click(function(){ if(!elem.hasClass('camerasliding')){ var idNum = parseFloat($(this).index()); var curNum = parseFloat($('.cameraSlide.cameracurrent',target).index()); if(idNum!=curNum) { clearInterval(u); imgFake(); $('#'+pieID+', .camera_canvas_wrap',camera_thumbs_wrap).animate({opacity:0},0); canvasLoader(); nextSlide(idNum+1); opts.onStartLoading.call(this); } } } });

I've attached a copy of the camera.js (as a text file so that I could upload it) that I am using with the above changes. You can see the effect of this on www.visitpenrith.com.au - give it a go and use your keyboard to tab down to the slideshow and press Enter on your keyboard to 'click' the control buttons. :)

Regards,
Adam.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic Keyboard accessible slideshow controls

Posted 6 years 3 months ago #46401
Hi
thank you very much for your help on this. I will check all this and see how to integrate this feature in the next version.
I will let you know
CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #46554
Hi
I have now added your suggestion in the 1.4.49 that is available on joomlack.fr
I have modified the code to adapt it. Example to avoid to repeat the lines of code for each event, I have merged them like this
Code:
camera_thumbs_wrap.on('click keypress','.camera_stop',function(e){ if ((e.type == 'keypress' && e.which == 13) || e.type == 'click') { ...
Hope it helps
CEd

by ced1870

Replied by adamgatt on topic Keyboard accessible slideshow controls

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #46555
Thanks, Cedric. You're an absolute legend!!!

And thanks for mentioning me in the Release notes. Would you please be able to change my name to Adam Gatt?

Many thanks! :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ced1870

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #46556
thanks to you for your collaboration ! :)
I have updated the notes for your complete name.Don't hesitate to test and confirm me that all is ok on your side with my script because I have also seen a modification for the alt text that I have not implemented, and another line in your file that was commented without reason.

by ced1870
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamgatt

Replied by adamgatt on topic Keyboard accessible slideshow controls

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #46677
Thanks, Cedric.

Do you have an estimate of how many downloads your module has or how many Joomla websites are using it?

Many thanks!

Time to create page: 0.721 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 815 guests and no members online