• zebrafilm
  • zebrafilm's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Netherlands / Thailand

Speedup templates was created by zebrafilm

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #31036
Hi Ced,

Now more or less everything works fine, can we discuss optimizing the speed and page ranking?

Most template created with template creator get a Google pagespeed index around 65 which is not very good. Part is the Joomla part getting slower and slower but with the Bootstrap3 templates I use I get a pagespeed of 90.

There is room for improvement by combining CSS or merge them. I have tried scriptmerge made by Jisse / Yireo and that helps a bit but it must be possible to improve more.

Can I request some optimizing for a next version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic Speedup templates

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #31037
Hi
yes you can request :)
if you have some ideas and test reports, you can share them with me.
CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

• zebrafilm
  • zebrafilm's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Netherlands / Thailand

Replied by zebrafilm on topic Speedup templates

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #31039
Yup I will. Need to setup some similar environments and compare more or less similar designs.
There will be a bit of searching between for balance between 'user' friendly and speed.
For example, best would be to combine all CSS in one file but it would not make most of your clients happy.
Since google is indexing also based on pagespeed it is becoming more important to make this max out.

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #31040
for now the css combine process is not what I want to include. May be one day, because as you say it is important to have a good ranking
I will check how to improve them soon

by ced1870

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #31114
Hi
I have made some tests on GTmetrix and directly on PageSpeed. I have created a template test made with template creator with the same positions as Protostar

- template protostar :
GTmetrix (pagespeed score) : 85/100
PageSpeed : 76/100

- template test :
GTmetrix (pagespeed score) : 81/100
PageSpeed : 75/100

So I have tried to look for the differences ... and this is where is the surprise !

- template protostar :
Leverage browser caching
F (11)
Inline small JavaScript
D (67)

- template test :
Leverage browser caching
F (0)
Inline small JavaScript
D (60)

1/ Leverage browser caching
Both templates are in the same situation, no caching inside.
The ONLY difference is the fact that in template creator I use 3 css files instead of 1. This is mainly done for user readability and maintenance.

2/ Inline small JavaScript
for both templates I have EXACTLY the same message :

The following external resources have small response bodies. Inlining the response in HTML can reduce blocking of page rendering.

test.com/ should inline the following small resources:

test.com/media/jui/js/jquery-noconflict.js
test.com/media/system/js/caption.js

3/ there were another point with a lower score, is when I use an image for the logo where Protostar have only text. I have removed the image to be exactly in the same situation

FINAL :
I have used the "compare" tool in GTmetrix, and I have this result (with the same content)
sometimes the protostar page is faster, sometimes the test page is faster. But I have 1 request more on protostar and 16kb of the page size more on protostar too.

Then I have compared with another website where I know that I have a Template Creator template and some optimization in the htaccess, my score is A (91%)

I hope that these tests will be helpful to show you that you must take these notes from GTmetrix with intelligence and not just look for the score absolutely. Try to find why and how :)

by ced1870

Time to create page: 0.649 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 363 guests and no members online