Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7

Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7 was created by ced1870

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21790
How to upgrade ?

The most important question you may ask now, is how you can upgrade your menu to the version 8. I will try to answer this the best possible :

The version 8 is a MAJOR RELEASE, which includes many changes

1/ backup your whole website before doing anything (this is right for any upgrade)

2/ don't upgrade directly on your production live website because some changes may occur in the design. Install a local copy of your website on your development server to test the udpate

3/ if you had a custom theme (where you did some css customization), backup it ! the themes have changed but there is still a compatibility code that allows to load the old themes

4/ do the upgrade of the module by installing the new version over the existing one. Do the same for the Maximenu Params

5/ edit the module and save. What you must check is now that your menu is running and that your styles are still ok. You can have some changes because you had the plugin params with some values set to No. Example :

Option Use font = No, and Option Font color = #000

Old version : use font was set to No, then nothing were applied

New version : there is no more the "use font" option, the color (if set) will be applied. Then you must clear the font color field to get the same result as before.

You must test before upgrading, the best would be to use the version 8 for a new project especially if you have already a complex menu.

Comment mettre à jour ?

La version 8 est une MISE A JOUR MAJEURE, ce qui inclus de nombreux changements

La question principale que vous êtes surement en train de vous poser est de savoir comment mettre à jour votre menu à la version 8. Je vais essyer de vous guier au mieux :

1/ sauvegardez l'intégralité de votre site avant toute chose (ceci est valable pour n'importe quelle mise à jour)

2/ ne mettez pas à jour directement votre site en production car vous aurez peut être des modifications de rendu suite à la mise à jour. Installez une copie de votre site sur un autre serveur et faites les essais tranquillement

3/ si vous utilisez déjà un thème que vous avez personnalisé (où vous avez modifié des CSS), sauvegardez le ! les thèmes ont été recodés, mais une couche de compatibilité dans le module permet de toujours encore charger les anciens thèmes

4/ mettez à jour le module en installant la nouvelle version par dessus l'ancienne. Faites la même chose pour le Maximenu Params

5/ editez le module et enregistrez le. Vérifiez sur votre site que le menu fonctionne toujours et si vous avez des modifications de rendu. Il se peut que le rendu soit modifié car certains paramètres ont été modifiés dans la nouvelle version. Exemple :

Option "Utiliser la police" = Non, et Option "Couleur de police" = #000

Ancienne version : "Utiliser la police" est sur Non donc aucune couleur n'est appliquée

Nouvelle version : il n'y a plus l'option "Utiliser la police", si vous mettez une valeur pour la couleur, elle s'applique. Vous devez donc vider le champ de couleur du texte pour obtenir le même résultat qu'avant.

Le mieux est d'utiliser la version 8 pour nouveau projet, surtout si vous avez déjà un menu assez complexe en place.

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

Last Edit:9 years 7 months ago by ced1870
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by ced1870.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by nsheehan123 on topic Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21823
DISLIKE. :angry:
The new params modal pop up is way to busy, cluttered and small.
THe update changed my menu beyond recognition and I now have HOURS of work to figure this out. :S

I need to restore from BU now. :(

Replied by ced1870 on topic Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21824
Hi
I have noticed this in the newsletter to warn about the changes.

The new params modal pop up is way to busy, cluttered and small.

you have a "full screen" button to make it the whole page content, or you can also go in the component Maximenu CK Params directly if you prefer

I'm trying to find a solution to avoid this situation. Let me know if the plugin unpublished solves the problem
CEd

by ced1870

Replied by ced1870 on topic Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21826
please try to replace this file in the module folder
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8539690/helper.php

and see if your styles are preserved. Please let me know

by ced1870

Replied by nsheehan123 on topic Update Maximenu to version 8 from version 6 or 7

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21833
The submenu icons are also messed up. On mouse over the triangle changes partly to a square.
I am NOT HAPPY with this release. If I had the option I would be asking for a refund and change menu systems as I DISLIKE the new params pages, layout, clutter, confusion, and a too many nested pages.

The previous versions took getting used to, but now we get to learn it all over again and have to invest HOURS in fixing this 'update;'
Last Edit:9 years 7 months ago by nsheehan123
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by nsheehan123.

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #21837
I gave up and reverted to the previous version.
This is a good beta test, it's not ready for release yet.
There are far too many changes in how the Params extension works, adding a substantial amount of work before an existing menu can be published with these updates. My suggestion would be to rename this extension and install it beside the existing version. Once configured the user can them disable and/or remove the old version. When a migration path is available that allows users to retain their setting without needing to completely re-configure every aspect of the MaxiMenu they have spent days getting right offer an upgrade. Until then USER BEWARE. I this NOT a simple update.

Time to create page: 0.688 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 970 guests and no members online