Cumulative Layout shift

Cumulative Layout shift was created by C-My

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #71661
I have created a 5 layer parallax effect. I get a CLS of over 0.3s. I have tried everything I can think of to solve it but short of disabling the module completely nothing seems to fix it. 

I have created a custom JS file that changes the offsety and speedfactor data attributes for different viewport widths but even with this disabled it's the same. The CLS is unacceptable. 

JCH optimise removes the CLS but breaks the module. If I exclude the module's script it fixes it but the CLS returns. 

Any one have any hints as to how to avoid the CLS. 
Last Edit:2 weeks 4 days ago by C-My
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by C-My.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic Cumulative Layout shift

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #71662
Hi
I have no idea why this particular script would impact your CLS
for the script that is in cause, you can confirm that you talk about "customparallaxck.js" ?
in the module there are other scripts and some css, so if I understand the css are not in cause in your case ?

I ask because I'm trying to investigate but I don't know where to start
CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Replied by C-My on topic Cumulative Layout shift

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #71664
The clues I have are that the CLS disappears with JCH in production mode but the parallax stops working.

IF I exclude the inline script...

<script>jQuery(document).ready(function(){ new Customparallaxck("#customparallaxck123", {
outerHeight: false,
modHeight: "120vw",
responsiveFont: "",
resizeFactorText: "1.3"
}); });</script>

From JCH the parallax works again, but the CLS returns.

The CLS also disappears if I disable the module.

My custom script doesn't seem to be the cause. If I stop loading it the CLS remains...
Code:
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() {     function updateDataAttributes() {         var layer1 = document.getElementById('customparallaxck123_layer1');         var layer2 = document.getElementById('customparallaxck123_layer2');         var layer3 = document.getElementById('customparallaxck123_layer3');         var layer4 = document.getElementById('customparallaxck123_layer4');         var layer5 = document.getElementById('customparallaxck123_layer5');            function setAttributeIfDifferent(element, attribute, value) {               if (element.getAttribute(attribute) !== String(value)) {                     element.setAttribute(attribute, value);               }         }         if (window.innerWidth <= 568) {               layer1.setAttribute('data-offsety', '500');               layer2.setAttribute('data-offsety', '600');               layer3.setAttribute('data-offsety', '580');               layer4.setAttribute('data-offsety', '800');               layer5.setAttribute('data-offsety', '200');               layer1.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-1.2');               layer2.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.8');               layer3.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.5');               layer4.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.1');               layer5.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.15');         }     else if (window.innerWidth > 568 && window.innerWidth <= 768) {               layer1.setAttribute('data-offsety', '450');               layer2.setAttribute('data-offsety', '570');               layer3.setAttribute('data-offsety', '590');               layer4.setAttribute('data-offsety', '800');               layer5.setAttribute('data-offsety', '250');               layer1.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.5');               layer2.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.18');               layer3.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.03');               layer4.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.4');               layer5.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.5');         }     else if (window.innerWidth > 768 && window.innerWidth <= 1024) {               layer1.setAttribute('data-offsety', '250');               layer2.setAttribute('data-offsety', '290');               layer3.setAttribute('data-offsety', '290');               layer4.setAttribute('data-offsety', '320');               layer5.setAttribute('data-offsety', '-90');               layer1.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.3');               layer2.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.18');               layer3.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.01');               layer4.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.08');               layer5.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.15');          }     else if (window.innerWidth > 1024 && window.innerWidth <= 3000) {               layer1.setAttribute('data-offsety', '245');               layer2.setAttribute('data-offsety', '270');               layer3.setAttribute('data-offsety', '270');               layer4.setAttribute('data-offsety', '290');               layer5.setAttribute('data-offsety', '-60');               layer1.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.3');               layer2.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.2');         layer3.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.1');         layer4.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.08');               layer5.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.1');         }     else if (window.innerWidth > 3000) {               layer1.setAttribute('data-offsety', '195');               layer2.setAttribute('data-offsety', '240');               layer3.setAttribute('data-offsety', '260');               layer4.setAttribute('data-offsety', '290');               layer5.setAttribute('data-offsety', '-60');               layer1.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '-0.01');               layer2.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.02');               layer3.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.05');               layer4.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.15');               layer5.setAttribute('data-speedfactor', '0.1');         }   }   updateDataAttributes();   window.addEventListener('resize', updateDataAttributes); });

I have set the values in the module settings the same as my first media break in the custom script which is what lighthouse mobile is testing at. 

I have tried adding all the layer images to the LCP section in JCH, makes no difference. I have also excluded the entire folder that contains the images from the lazyload in JCH. These are both stabs in the dark really. I had no reason to think it they would help. 

I also have the following custom CSS, which has been created mobile first. Nothing of significance changes at the smallest media break. I am switching the backgrounds for each layer out above 1024px vw but that doesn't affect lighthouse mobile testing.
Code:
/*Heros*/ .mast-home .t4-section-inner.container-fluid {     padding: 0; } .home-hero-text {     font-size: 35px;     line-height: 1;     font-weight: bold;     color: #fff;     top: CALC(70vw - 119px);     position: relative;     left: 10%; } .mast-home {     background:url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/M-L-climb-sky-1k.webp) no-repeat!important;     background-attachment:fixed!important;     background-position-y:119px !important;     background-size: 100% auto !important; } @media screen and (min-width:569px) and (max-width: 768px) {     .home-hero-text {         font-size: 50px;         top: CALC(70vw - 119px);     } } @media screen and (min-width: 769px) and (max-width: 1023px) {     .home-hero-text {         font-size: 60px;         top: CALC(40vw - 119px);     }     .home-hero-plax {         min-height:60vw!important;     } } @media screen and  (min-width: 1024px) {     .home-hero-plax {         min-height:40vw!important;     }     .mast-home {         background:url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climb-sky-2k.webp)!important;         background-attachment:fixed!important;         background-position-y:119px !important;         background-size: 100% auto !important;     }     .home-hero-text {         font-size: 90px;         top: CALC(25vw - 119px);     }     #customparallaxck123_layer1 {         background: url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climb-horison-2k.webp) center 0 no-repeat!important;         background-size:100% auto !important;     }     #customparallaxck123_layer2 {         background: url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climb-mid-2k.webp) center 0 no-repeat!important;         background-size:100% auto !important;     }     #customparallaxck123_layer3 {         background: url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climb-lower-mid-2k.webp) center 0 no-repeat!important;         background-size:100% auto !important;     }     #customparallaxck123_layer4 {         background: url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climb-fore-2k.webp) center 0 no-repeat!important;         background-size:100% auto !important;     }     #customparallaxck123_layer5 {         background: url(../../../../images/backgrounds/climb-plax-layers/refined/climber-2k.webp) right 0 no-repeat!important;         background-size:100% auto !important;     } } @media screen and (min-width: 2000px) {     .home-hero-text {         font-size: 120px;     } }
Last Edit:2 weeks 4 days ago by C-My
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by C-My.

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #71675
I have made a test with the Lighthouse in Google Chrome on my demo page here
www.joomlack.fr/en/joomla-extensions/custom-parallax-ck

my CLS is 0 ...
can you please try on your side my demo to see what score you get ?

by ced1870

Replied by C-My on topic Cumulative Layout shift

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #71676
Got a quick way to do that? I modified the default module to get to where I am. I tried reinstalling the extension but it doesn't add the demo module again.

Edit: Nope, I'm being dumb. Added the demo and weirdly, I now get a CLS on the section below. I'm beginning to think it's the loading of a google web font which I was also using in my P-lax. My intention was always to have these local once design and development was finished so I'm going to do that and see if it fixes it. I might even try adding the web font to your demo module and see if that offers any clues. Might be quicker. 

Right, I changed your demo to be taller and the CLS reappears. I think it wasn't registering in lighthouse because it was "short" enough that lighthouse didn't consider it a "large" layout shift. The first listed likely cause is /modules/mod_customparallaxck_pro/assets/customparallaxck.js. This is happening without using a google font, without using my custom script and with my custom CSS commented out. It seems that if the module is tall enough to be considered a "large" CLS it gets picked up. try adding yours to a masthead position and setting it to be quite tall (120vw, for example). I think you'll find a CLS is picked up then. When I made my P-lax module shorter the behaviour is identical. a CLS on the next section down, no CLS when I disable it completely. 
Last Edit:2 weeks 1 day ago by C-My
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by C-My.

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #71677
note sure to understand everything you do :)
but it seems that you found the cause. Unfortunately I can not do more as this is something measured by Google according to your website and there is nothing I can change in the parallax module that would help in this case

by ced1870

Time to create page: 0.722 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 1237 guests and no members online