Accessibility in your theme / template - How to

Replied by trogladyte on topic Accessibility in your theme / template - How to

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56379
I somehow figured MaxiMenu would do it. Guess I might have to start using it on every site!

I'll have a play with styling the hover class (was reading all about it over the weekend while researching accessibility).

Accessibility is a BIG deal, especially over here where the Americans with Disabilities Act has become a rabid, money-making dog. There are "professionals" who do nothing but look for businesses to sue over this. So for we Yanks, getting this right ASAP (well for those of us who know or care) is of paramount importance. For what it's worth, I have attached the Word doc I wrote for our own guidelines. I think it encapsulates WCAG 2 pretty well, at least to Level AA (Level AAA is REALLY hard to attain and even more difficult to keep).

For you, as a software developer, much of the doc won't apply directly (such as alt text for images), though it may apply indirectly where you need to provide the mechanism for accomplishing said task (like alt text for images - you need to provide a field for we designers to complete).

Here are a couple of useful links that helped me formulate the doc, both from w3.org:

www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/

www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/

Happy to correspond more on the subject with you - off-forum or on, whichever you prefer. I thought it was going to be a dull, tedious thing, but, after working a lot of Saturday on it, I felt really empowered. Hopefully you may feel the same!!

A good landing is one you can walk away from.
A great landing is one where you can reuse the aircraft!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56380

ced1870 wrote: HI
" I don't see where this styling is applied"
>> this is the :focus pseudo class, you can style it using custom css for now, there not yet the styles for that

Given that my CSS skills are more beginner level, I went and researched how to do this, but nothing I tried changed from that blue color. I tried:

:focus {
color: #000000!important;
}

and

input:focus {
}

Replied by ClaudioRomeo on topic Accessibility in your theme / template - How to

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56384
trogladyle wrote:

}

and

}

Maybe you have not considered that you are dealing with link.
For example, in my custom.css file of TCCK I inserted:
Code:
/* selected link */ a:active { color: #000000; background-color: #ffff00; } /* focused link */ a:focus { color: #000000; background-color: #ffff00; border: dotted 1px #000000; }
I don't know if it can help. I hope so.

Another important point (in my opinion) is related to the effort to provide a consistent developing environment for accessible websites.
I believe there is a need for integration between developers to avoid overlapping solutions and to provide consistent solutions.
For example, the Pro version of JCE offers powerful and easy tools to achieve great results. Nevertheless, sometimes it is difficult to decide whether these results should be achieved with JCE, Regular Labs extensions, JoomlaCK extensions or Template Creator.
Aiming at the accessibility of websites, an integration between Template Creator CK, Regular Labs and JCE could achieve great results without too much effort.
Saying it is easy, doing it is difficult, I know.
But would you consider collaborating with other developers?

Counselor for better people in a better company

The following user(s) said Thank You: ced1870

Replied by ced1870 on topic Accessibility in your theme / template - How to

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56397

that is right. To be honest, I have already contacted some developpers for few small things, this is very difficult to get a real participation
I'm opened to collaboration, if something could be done. But for sure I will not spend my time trying to contact and convince the others ;)

CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56420

ClaudioRomeo wrote: trogladyle wrote:

}

and

}

Maybe you have not considered that you are dealing with link.
For example, in my custom.css file of TCCK I inserted:
Code:
/* selected link */ a:active { color: #000000; background-color: #ffff00; } /* focused link */ a:focus { color: #000000; background-color: #ffff00; border: dotted 1px #000000; }
I don't know if it can help. I hope so.

Another important point (in my opinion) is related to the effort to provide a consistent developing environment for accessible websites.
I believe there is a need for integration between developers to avoid overlapping solutions and to provide consistent solutions.
For example, the Pro version of JCE offers powerful and easy tools to achieve great results. Nevertheless, sometimes it is difficult to decide whether these results should be achieved with JCE, Regular Labs extensions, JoomlaCK extensions or Template Creator.
Aiming at the accessibility of websites, an integration between Template Creator CK, Regular Labs and JCE could achieve great results without too much effort.

I tried your code Claudio, but that didn't change the border (currently in blue), but only put a yellow bar behind SOME items. I just want to change the blue border.

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #56421

ced1870 wrote:

that is right. To be honest, I have already contacted some developpers for few small things, this is very difficult to get a real participation
I'm opened to collaboration, if something could be done. But for sure I will not spend my time trying to contact and convince the others ;)
CEd

I'm happy to work with you as much as I'm able Ced. Really appreciate your products and your support, and I'm happy to help you make them better. As I mentioned, I've done a fair amount of reading on the whole accessibility issue. Yep, it can be a minefield, but, if one follows WCAG 2.0 then the rules are REASONABLY simple. There's just a LOT of rules!!

Let me know how I can help.

Time to create page: 0.848 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 419 guests and no members online