Footer Issue + Left NAV Column Height Issue

Footer Issue + Left NAV Column Height Issue was created by weRus

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #39271
Hi!

We would like to update my employer's site to Joomla 3.x (from J 1.5.x) and I'm trying to clone the appearance of the current template that was created 6+ years ago using a differnt template builder that is no longer under development.

I am not a web guy but I do have a pretty good understanding of HTML -- unfortunately my comprehension of CSS is VERY weak. BUT fortunately, with the help of TC-CK and the little bit of CSS I do grasp, I've done a pretty good job of replicating our current site's appearance and have been able to solve most of the issues I have encountered.

With that said, I do have some issues that I haven't been able to resolve and have come here for a little help. (I did search the forum first without any luck.)

The first issue is that the footer is spreading out across the entire bottom of the screen instead of being constrained to the dimensions of the rest of the site. (see Clip_01.jpg - Issue #1)

The footer displays correctly in TC-CK while editing the template (Clip_02.jpg) as well as when I do a preview (Clip_3.jpg). It also displays correctly when I install this template to a different live server (Clip_4.jpg).

I've started over from scratch multiple times but the footer keeps "breaking". Any suggestions as to a solution? (Or what mistake(s) I may be making?)

Question #2 (see Clip_1.jpg - #2) is how to have the Left/Position 7 height be the same height as the content so that it has the same background color from below the header image to the top of the footer? Clip_5.jpg shows what this area looks like on the current template (old J 1.5 site) and is what I am trying to replicate.

I hope I've provided enough information and look forward to a response. Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

Clip_1 - Showing issues 1 & 2

Clip_2 - What footer looks like in Template Creator edit mode

Clip_3 - What footer looks like in TC Preview mode

Clip_4 - Same template being used on an alternate website

Clip_5 - Issue #2 - What we are trying to mimic/duplicate, i.e no whitespace in column.
Last Edit:7 years 4 months ago by weRus
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by weRus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ced1870 on topic Footer Issue + Left NAV Column Height Issue

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #39272
Hi
1/ for the footer issue, this comes from the code in your article. You can see on other pages that it works :)
there is probably one or more </div> that shall not be there and that are closing the template design

2/ the best practice here would be to give your background color on the maincontent and not the left column.

CEd

Joomlack Webmaster and Developer

by ced1870
The following user(s) said Thank You: weRus

Replied by weRus on topic Footer Issue + Left NAV Column Height Issue

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #39281
Thank you!

I will search the code for any extraneous <div> and/or </div>'s as well as "play" with the background in maincontent and other sections as needed.

+++

UPDATE: YAY - I found the stray </div>!

ced1870 wrote: Hi
1/ for the footer issue, this comes from the code in your article. You can see on other pages that it works :)
there is probably one or more </div> that shall not be there and that are closing the template design

2/ the best practice here would be to give your background color on the maincontent and not the left column.

CEd

Last Edit:7 years 4 months ago by weRus
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by weRus.

Time to create page: 0.697 seconds

Fast and powerful creation, customizable and responsive.

Read More

We have 834 guests and no members online